Top 10 Home Maintenance Tips For the Summer
1. Do a test of your smoke detectors and your carbon monoxide detectors. Replace the batteries if needed.
2. Get your cooling system ready.
- Consider getting your air-conditioning system serviced. Proper air conditioner maintenance can help your AC last longer and prevent air conditioner fires. This one is especially important for summer home maintenance since you don’t want to be stuck without air conditioning when the temperature starts climbing.
3. Dust the ceiling fan blades and check that the fan is balanced and working properly.
- Attach a dryer sheet to a paint roller so you can reach easily and dust away.
4. Get your chimney cleaned. Yes, you might not use your fireplace again until fall or winter, but that’s exactly why this is the perfect time to call a chimney cleaning service. They won’t be as busy!
5. Clean or replace your showerheads.
6. Clean bathroom drains.
7. Reverse the direction of your ceiling fans.
- If your fans spin counterclockwise, they’ll push the air straight down to your home will stay nice and cool. To do this, turn off the fan, wait for it to stop, and find the direction switch and check that your fans are spinning counterclockwise.
8. Clean the baseboards of your home. Use a damp cloth and wipe away all the dust and grime.
9. Check your attic and basement.
- In your attic, look for signs of dampness, mildew, leaks, holes in the roof, and pests.
- In the basement, check for leaks, pests, mold, and mildew.
10. Clean the vents of your bathroom fans.